We asked Great British Bake Off star, Pact subscriber and all-round legend, Selasi Gbormittah to share his very own chocolate & coffee cream cake recipe with our community. It’s simple to make and the marzipan paste gives it a festive edge. Rustle this cake up for your Christmas party centrepiece.
- 3 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 120g unsalted butter, melted
- 180g plain flour
- 130g whole milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g cocoa powder
- 140g marzipan or almond paste
- 80g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp Pact Coffee beans
Chocolate & Espresso Cream Topping Ingredients:
- 30ml shot of Pact Coffee espresso
- 10g coffee beans from earlier, ground into to a powder
- 300g double cream
- 20g white chocolate, chopped
- 20g dark chocolate, chopped
- 120g dark chocolate, melted
- Warm the coffee beans and milk together in a saucepan, let them infuse and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 170° fan. Grease and line a 7in cake tin.
- In a mixer, whisk the marzipan or almond paste and caster sugar until broken down.
- Add in the eggs and whisk briefly.
- Remove the beans from the cooled coffee milk. Rinse and set the beans aside to dry for later use.
- Add the liquid to the milk mixture.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and whisk.
- Fold in the melted butter and chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 25-30mins (or until baked through.)
- Once baked, allow to cool.
- To make the topping, mix together the chocolate and espresso shot and set aside to cool.
- Whip the double cream to soft peaks and fold in the melted and chocolate espresso mixture until fully incorporated.
- Spread on top of the cooled cake and decorate with chopped white chocolate, dark chocolate and sprinkles of some of the ground coffee beans.
- Tada! Enjoy.