The Clever Coffee Dripper really is a clever brewer, but don’t let the name fool you (or double bluff you). Although it may look like a regular dripper, use filter papers, and is even named a dripper, this brew method is actually much more closely related to the cafetiere. It belongs to a group of brew methods, which we call “total emersion” (this just means that we leave all of the brew water mixed with all of the coffee for the duration of the brew time). Most importantly, it means you should be using coffee that’s ground for cafetiere brewing, not filter (which you would use for a Hario V60)!
Once you have your coffee ground ready for cafetiere, we can begin our brew…
How to use a Clever Coffee Dripper:
You can brew 1-2 cups of coffee using your Clever Dripper, as it holds up to 500ml of water, plenty for two mugs worth of coffee.
- Start by rinsing your filter paper with water and then popping it into your Clever Dripper. I recommend placing the clever dripper on its coaster for the next steps, in case of any small drips.
- Add 15g of coffee or 1 Hario scoop of ground coffee per cup you will brew. Pro tip – if you want to change things up a bit you can adjusting your “brew ratio” (your perfect ratio of coffee to water) by adding up to 20g of coffee per 250ml of water.
- Pour your hot water (ideally wait 30 seconds after your kettle has finished boiling) into your clever dripper and give it a good stir to make sure all of the grounds are covered/wet and to make sure no grounds have floated to the surface before putting the lid on, this will stabilise the temperature and keep the brew nice and hot!
- Wait for 3 minutes while the coffee brews. If you’re brewing in the office, this is the perfect time to walk back to your desk. When the three minutes are up, pop the clever dripper on top of your cup, or if you are brewing 2 cups at once, your jug. This is where the magic happens… when you place the Clever Dripper on top of your mug, the valve will be pressed and the coffee should start dripping into your mug.
- Return your Clever Dripper to the coaster, dropping the filter paper in the bin and giving it a quick rinse. Rinsing straight after brewing ensures you are immediately ready-to-go for your next cup, and better still, this avoids any coffee ground build up which will increase the life of your brewer.
- Enjoy! I’m currently loving Finca El Cairo brewed in Clever Dripper – give it a try!