We at Pact are firm believers in treating yourself every now and then. With all these bank holidays and summer just around the corner, May is a bit of a sit back and relax kind of month. And don’t you think you deserve a little break? Go on. Pour a Pact Coffee and put your feet up, because sometimes you just have to say “let them eat cake!”
And what a cake! This nutty, caffeinated feast was ample enough for the whole Pact crew and we’re positive you’ll love it as much as we did. So, tuck into this Coffee and Walnut wonder on us, and while you’re at it, leave a comment to let us know how yours worked out!
150g gluten-free flour
150g caster sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp Pact Coffee
100g icing sugar
1 tsp Pact Coffee
1 tbsp milk
1. Set your oven to 180°C/gas mark 4
2. Brew a cup of Pact Coffee in your preferred method and set aside to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, butter, eggs, walnuts, almonds, milk and coffee and blend using an electric whisk.
4. Separate mixture into two cake tins (we did three, but we were feeling pretty fancy when we whipped up this number).
5. Cook for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Once cooked, removed from the tins and leave and set aside to cool.
7. For the filling, mix the butter, sugar, milk and coffee until it reaches a similar consistency to whipped cream.
8. Spread one layer (or two if you attempted a three tiered cake) with filling (leaving some leftover for the top layer).
9. Gently place the final layer on top and spread with the remaining filling.
10. Decorate with walnuts, sit back and let the compliments roll in!
PACT TIP: We like to cater to the gluten intolerant among us, but this recipe can be adapted to suit everyone. Feel free to switch the gluten-free flour to regular if you wish!